Go Crack A Nut
December is here at last, which means the holidaze is clipping along at hyper-speed. Time to relive all of those holiday traditions that make life seem truly worth living and reliving. (Well, most of them at least.)
Enter the Nutcracker by the Pacific Northwest Ballet (PNB). Like last year’s Nutcracker, your Hedonista attended as media once again this year (just last weekend, in fact). Running November 25th to December 27th, 2011, at the Marion Oliver McCaw Hall, the Stowell & Sendack Nutcracker features Peter Boal as the Artistic Director and both Kent Stowell and Francia Russell as the Founding Artistic Directors. The stunning choreography is by Kent Stowell and the gorgeous costumes and sets are by Maurice Sendak.
Oh, and that gloriously familiar music by none other than Peter Illyich Tchaikovsky himself, which we’ve come to associate with the winter holiday season.
The night I attended, Clara was performed by Mimi Jurion and Kaori Nakamura, the Prince by James Moore, and Herr Drosselmeier by Jeffrey Stanton. As always, the cast, set, and music were all magical. It’s as if, when viewing a performance of the Nutcracker, the entire audience revisits its childhood … if not still a child, that is. There’s just something very satisfying and heart-warming sitting in an audience like this and attending an event such as this one. The mix of young and old, of whimsy and discipline, of fantasy and reality – it all just seems to represent the holidays … not to mention so very much more.
With all budgets a little tighter these days, the PNB has ways to save on Nutcracker tickets, depending on the performance date and time:
- Give to the Pirates. Gifts and gift cards valued at $15 and up brought to the PNB Box Office for the Seafair Pirates Holiday Treasure Chest will receive 15% off all Nutcracker performances. (There’s even 15-minute parking outside 301 Mercer Street.)
- Partner Off. Find a 15% off coupon at one of the PNB’s partners.
- Say “Vacation.” Mention or enter this word when purchasing tickets for the matinées of December 20, 21 and 22, 2011 and get 15% off.
- Develop a Four-Pack. The PNB offers packages with partners when 4 tickets are purchased together.
- Strength in Numbers. The PNB offers group discounts of up to 25% for parties of 15 or more.
The PNB is also offering a Fairy Tales Package starting at $116 a pop that includes all storybook-type ballets for the 2011-2012 season: Nutcracker (November 25-December 27, 2011), Don Quixote (February 3-12, 2012), Snow White (March 17, 18, and 25, 2012), and Coppélia (June 1-10, 2012).
The Nutcracker is truly a tradition worth keeping.
Now go crack a nut, will ya?